Monday 23 June 2014

Chaos renegades complete collection (part 1) ...

...almost

Note from the author : Be prepared for an unhealthy dose of bragging and showing off in the following post, future posts should not stay in that vein or keep that same tone but this one is a sort of cathartic way or releasing the pressure from this long-term quest. Thanks you

Aaaanyway, guess what appeared in the mailbox the other day? Well, I'm going to show you right now :



A Rogue trader Tzeentch renegade? that's all? not even remotely unreleased or limited edition? The kind you could order via the mail order service until the early 2000?

YES ! THAT kind of renegade but the one I've been running after for quite a while and more importantly, the one that seals the first stage of my collection.
I can proudly announce that the collection of foot renegades for my chaos renegade army is now OVER.


This little annoying bugger has finally been ticked off my list

This rapid list has been made from the pages of the 



You can see on that list that many models in the 1991 pages were already in the 1988 and 1989 issues. These models have been coloured in red on the picture above to avoid any confusion.

So here is how the collection looks at this stage. You can see some painted models, some based models just waiting for the prime coat and some others in need of a little preparation and even some repairwork.


I have not added the mounted renegades (and unmounted mounted renegades) on that picture because I have a few things to say about them in a second post.

On the picture above, you have about 64 renegade models plus some chaos terminators, 6 chaos squats and a pair of dreadnoughts.

So let's point them all from the catalogue pages :

For a reason of conveniency, I will show them in the order presented int the 1991 catalogue (blue one) since it's the catalogue that repertoriates most of the range and the best organised one compared to the 1988 and 1989 ones.

We can begin with the 2 first ranges of Khorne and Slaanesh :

I placed the renegades in the same order as on the catalogue picture

picture taken from Solegend



One of the Khorne legionnaires needs some repair work on one of his horns but apart from that, everyone is in perfect shape.


picture taken from Solegend




You can see the some tzeentch renegades have suffered some weapon loss (nothing unfixable here) and you can see from the weird basing on the 3 -armes one that a disc mount is to be expected. While I was at it, I decided to add a fantasy tzeentch champion because I've always felt his place was more on a futuristic field than on a fantasy one :

Just give him a backpack and he's good for the grim darkness etc...

The chaos undivided troops  are next with a wall of models. You can see many of them are variants form each other and I plan on making a post about variants and some strange resemblances between some models :

picture taken from Solegend



Half of them are already painted which is very motivating. I still have to work on some nex design for the banners but now I have all the models, the collectin phase can end and the modelling part can start at full speed now !

You may rmemeber from a few pictures above not all the renegades from the 1988 and 1989 coatalogues made it into the 1991 one. I don't really know why. It doesn't seem these models are rarer than the others and though they were not catalogued anymore from 1991, I believe they must have still be part of the blisters sold.

The one on the left is from the 1988 catalogue while the 3 others on the right come form the 1989 catalogue.
I have been told by some knowledgeable collectors that there is an unreferenced variant of the second renegade on the left. The spike on his helmet causing problems during casting, it may have been shortened but I have failed to find a copy (or picture) of this variant anywhere.



To close the foot troopers range, we can end with the heavy weapon bearers. it is funny how 12 different models were sculpted for these. it's nearly 20% of the range.

picture taken from Solegend

Amongst the 4 god oriented renegades, the Nurgle and Tzeentch ones have had their hands cut by myself in the mid 90's. Some little repair work will be needed to make them come back good as new.



I have a version of each of the heavy weapons (minus the metal conversion beamer) but I have to say I do not fancy the look of them at all. I've always thought the missile launcher looked silly but now I have one, I find it even more silly.It looks like a dolphin with teeth and wire...

The power armoured squats are very nice miniatures and I had th echance to pick a pair of each long time ago. I unfortunately overestimated my modelling skills at the time and ened up with mutilated bodies and severed hands every where. Yhe repair work is not entirely finished for all and painting is always on ^pause because of this banner problem I have.


A funny thing is to consider that while the Marauder Chaos dwarves were copies of the citadel chaos warriors, the 3 power-armoured squats do have a strange resemblance with some of the renegades (even if a little far fetched), I will show you that ni a second post.




Chaos terminators, those are a strange bunch. They totally don't fit fit with th rest of the range and their strange proportions (shoulders higher than the neck, head coming out from the torso).
Even knowing that, I just can't refuse Jes Goodwin models in any army I have. Yes they do not match the rest of the models and Yes their prportions are silly but they're just too beautifully sculpted and too nice to paint to say no to.

Picture from Solegend


Last but terribly not least, the chaos dreadnought is an all-time favourite of mine.I love him so much I had to get another one... The several parts of the model should really help me in building a diffreent model. I will try to keep painting similar on both models but will intriduce subtle difference which will make them look good next to each other hopefully.





In a following post, We will deal with mounted (and unmounted mounted) renegades and we will also have a look at the different variants used to build the renegades and at a few funny details in the range.

I hope this post was pleasant enough even with its horrifying lack of freshly painted lead.

I sincerely want to thank the many of you who helped me fulfill this dream, you all know who you are but making this part of the road with you makes it even more valuable to me, So a big thanks you to (in no particular order) : Steve, Edward, Jonathan, James, Martin, Brian and many others !

37 comments:

  1. A seriously impressive achievement, now you just have to paint them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be done without a doubt. I'll make it a step after the other; working on 10 man squads but I can assure it will be done sooner rather than later.
      A lot of the references are absolutely gorgeous and I will add variations depending on the gods and all that. First step for now is to have everyone based, repaired and ready for a prime.

      Delete
  2. I'm happy to help you JB ! Nice to see your collection now and i also love the black renegade you painted they look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much pal !
      Il y a une paire d'elfes noirs qui voyagent vers toi en ce moment même d'ailleurs !
      Je vais tâcher de pas trainer sur le peinture et de leur faire un peu honneur !

      Delete
    2. Merciiii :) ! J'ai hâte de voir ça :) !

      Delete
  3. So beautiful.

    A great achievement, and a nice reference post! I TOTALLY missed the four guys from the 1988 and 1989 catalogues, so thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot.
      I have to say that when I got a pair of them and couldn't find a trace of them in the blue catalogue, I wondered if I had laid my hands on unrefrenced models...quick delusion after that, I remembered the renegades ahd been published earlier and found their trace.

      Delete
  4. A worthy quest completed. As others have said, now you just have to paint them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With only 17% painted so far I still have work on those but I know it will be done. I'd definitely like to present it at BOYL someday, only question is 2015 or 2016?

      Thanks a lot James.

      Delete
  5. Colour me green with envy! I dearly love those Renegades and some day will get a handful for myself. Kudos for amassing so many of the blighters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a tremendous help from fellow bloggers(painters/collectioners really. I had about half of them bought back in the day but I suddenly for some reason felt the urge to get the others to make a whole army.I really want to be able to field a huge consistent army of those with any doubles.
      They work so well in mass and yet they all of such individuality.

      Thanks Gareth!

      Delete
  6. Great work JB. Did you make the banners yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On eis a tomato purée tube sheet and the other a plastic one with test freehands. I'm still looking for the proper designs to make the force look good. I haven't found the proper balance between chaos, oldschool and originality so far... banners will be a important part of the force so I need to find the good deign first hand.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! I'm sooo pleased I'm not a completest when it comes to collecting. It must have been both enjoyable and frustrating trying to get the lot but now you are obviously over the moon. Look forward to the painted versions.

    One question, did you not want to include the variants from WD113?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyable and frustrating, you nailed this perfectly !

      Funny thing is I am usually not a completist myslef neither and I am not that big a collectioner. I think this collectin just come sform the fact I wanted to have a huge army with the fewer duplicates possible. When I got close to completion, the bug bit me and I had to get my hands on the remaining few.
      I am not a purist though since I won't try to replace the damaged ones, or to get the unreferenced variants.

      What variants are you refering to? (I do not own WD113)

      I am over the moon because now is the time I get into the part I prefer which is modelling and painting.

      Delete
    2. I think Erny is referring to the Chaos Champions that are actually renegades (they have guns etc) e.g. "tech weapon" here http://www.solegends.com/citcat1991b/cat1991bp266rcchnurgle-02.htm

      Delete
    3. Knowing Erny's love for green, I thougt he was refering to the "Orks" renegades. Jes Goodwin tech champs coudl have been a choice I agree but their style is not the same as the renegades, while I'm OK with adding the terminators, I don't want to add any more confusion. Th tzeentch champion on anothe rhand sits just perfectly with his futuristic friends.

      Delete
    4. Haha. What better way to congratulate a friend that you are perhaps a little jealous of (in the right sort of way) than to insinuate that his collection is actually not complete. I thought you'd instantly see through it but trust you lot to find not just one answer for that little bit of mischief but two, no idea if WD113 has any renegades in to be fair.



      Delete
    5. You naughty you !

      Well Mutantdale previously cold showered me after revealing me I was missing more than met the eye (unrefenced unmounted legs for mounted bodies and an unknown variant of one model) so I kept vigilant about possible new discoveries...
      That and I am super naive and usually fall head forst in any trap...
      Well done !

      Delete
  8. I've got to say that seeing them all squadded up like that is quite a beautiful sight. i really like the colours on the unaligned renegades. Are you going to go with 'traditional' colours for the aligned ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not. I will keep th eall-black deisgn over the whole army but I will add variations. Nurgle renegades will have th esame pattern but with added traces of rust and oxydation. Tzeentch renegads will have black amrour but flamboyant feathers and skins etc...
      It was a hard choice to do because I will obviously lose opportunities painting wise but I want to do an army unlike any other and I really want to push the group coherence to the maximum.

      Delete
  9. Bravo sir! No small achievement to get this lot collected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No great achievement either but a very enjoyable one for sure !
      Thanks !

      Delete
  10. Such an impressive collection! I sold off all my renegades a few years back to focus on my daemons, and it's a big regret (although it did fund my huge daemon collection...)! I never had as many as you mind... Looking forward to seeing them all painted up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all do those kind of things. All th elittle pieces I 'm missing like autocannon arm for my terminators and other things of the sort are items I traded away not so long ago...
      I hope to paint a squad of 10 men every 2 or 3 months to keep the spirit up and to be able to rest on other projects. It should take me a year or so to complete the painting part.

      Delete
  11. Very well deserved gloating JB; a real treat to see them all ranked up. I very much look forward to watching you steadily paint the force!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow and steady will be the way, with fantasy and confrontation recreations in between.
      Thanks a lot.

      Delete
  12. Now you've made me want to buy an old Rogue Trader Dreadnought, damn you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you'd be surprised to see it's an affordable dream in actually. Their rough details mean you can paint them far more quickly than new ones and though this is only a matter of taste, I think they still do look good.
      Oh and there's the fact lead feels so "right" in hand...

      Delete
  13. Quelle jolie réunion familiale ! Ca ressemble à mon dernier réveillon de Noël !!! Bravo !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parceque vous êtes tous en plomb avec des cornes bizarres sur la tête ? ^^

      Delete
  14. First off, congratulations on your collection! It's really awesome.

    I have a small question...
    On your 8th picture from the bottom of the article. I have the pistol and chainsword renegade on the far left (1st from the left, horned helmet and "claws" shoulder pads), got it second-hand, but one of his horns was a bit too bent, and while gently straightening it, it broke off in my fingers, it's the left one on your picture, and it broke around the curve on the helmet, apparently they were weathered already since they were spread wider than on your picture.
    Would you have any tips on how to repair it?

    Worst comes to worst, I was considering keeping the mini in a safe place, making a mold of both parts (broken horn and main body) and putting together a milliput "clone", so as not to risk fiddling around too much with lead on a small flimsy part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks !
      I honestly think the horn can be pinned given where it broke and how thick it is. it will require a little putty around the joint but nothing impossible far from it.
      Hope you can fix this without much trouble ! ;)

      Delete
  15. What about the Slaanesh Riders? I think you missed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riders are in the 2nd part of this post ! ^^

      Delete
  16. Thank you, never seen these models in high resolution photos! <3 a precious page for oldhammer lovers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! I'm glad this little exercise of research has proven useful for others than me !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...