Wednesday 5 February 2014

Building up a sensei warband, what's not to like ?

You may remember from some posts ago that I plan on making a sensei warband. I 've always ben surprised to see how few of them seem to make it to the tabletop or even the painting ranges. The sensei are one of the most interesting aspects of the imperial history on the 40k Universe and probably one of the one which lacks to today's fluff.

I'm speaking of a time where Gods of Chaos were fighting gods of Law and when the emperor had a detailed history and past which opened doors to many a stories... But the topic today is not discuss the lacks of modern fluff but to see how we can use the gems of old books.

Here is some brief recap of what you're meant to know about the emperor :



Birth of the emperor : 

The emperor was born by the gathering of sould of countless shamans who sacrified themselves to join their spirit and to form a new deity just like the chaos gods had formed from the feelings of hatred, despair, lust or will for change in the galaxy.
Their combined spirit formed a "new man" which roamed through mankind's history and helped wherever he could, (the text sort of indicates some of our actual great men could have been the "new man" himself).

references and more info can be found in the "Lost and the Damned" tome of the Realms of Chaos books (from page 174)

The Death of The emperor :

 After defeating Horus, the emperor'soul was broken and though a parcel of it remained in its physical body (now living via the golden throne) most of it fled to the warp giving birth to a new spirit : the Starchild.

One can note from this point, the Starcild acts like a god and it terms of gameplay allowes, powers and rewards just like the chaos gods do to their servants.

references can be found  in the "Lost and the Damned" tome of the Realms of Chaos books (from page 184)

The Sensei :

The sensei are basically the sons and daughters the "new man" had all along his life on earth. 

Their most distinct features being :
- They don't age
- They can't have children
- They're psychically invisible to warp creatures
- They generally don't know their origin until they're taught by another sensei or rise up as a sensei themselves.

Funny how this all makes me think about something else :


They also draw their energy from the starchild who in returns for service grants them rewards just like any chaos god would do for his champions.

You can also note that in the "Lost and the damned" book, the Illuminati are a brotherhood of people knowing all the secrets of the emperor and the sensei who seek to sacrifice the sensei to make the starchild gain its full power and to see the birth of a new man.
In the "Slaves to Darkness" tome, the Illuminati are those who have been possessed by a demon but who managed to survive the experience thanks to their strong willpower.
The 2 versions are totally compatible though so no big issue here.

Now with all this little fluff (I can only strongly advise you to go get the tomes and read the original text), how can I use this to forge a warband?

Well the name Sensei is a hint in itself. It's japanese and it describes someone who has authority over a specific field like a teacher.

Japonese origins you say?, that's funny because if I look at the model or the picture taken form the Realm of chaos book :





I see some kind of echoes of something I know well which is Kendo suit (Japanese fencing meaning "the way of the blade")


Black armour pieces over indigo suit? This seems to be perfectly feasible and it should definitely give the sensei a distinct look from other adventurers. The Chain sword could be painted black or even like it's made of bamboo like a shinaï (the bamboo sabre the guys on the pucture ar holding) if I feel silly enough (and I rarely lack non-sense). The clothe he's wearing on the forehead can be painted like a tenugui which happens to be the coton cloth you put beneath the head piece (called "Men") to protect and to absorb sweat.

I think I'm on to something here...
One other thing I'm looking forward to use happens to be one of the rewards a Sensei can receive :


Oh, isn't the little guy on the left familiar? How lucky would I be having a painted version of him already?


Mwahaha, it's so easy ! I already have a redeemed chaos champion to accompany my little band. It will join the band eventually if I roll the e reward and manage to find someone to redeem but it's a nice .

I now have a band led by a Japon-inspired knight of the future who is so charismatic he can even evil beings into good fellows.

What more could I want?
Well maybe this :


Now just dare tell me you don't think about this :

Just give one reason not to do a sensei warband. It has to be the best gang possible in the Roguetrader universe. Just added layers of cool things  making the best hobby sandwich possible. 

Painting's doing well on the band and I hope to have some models finished in a very near future.

30 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is indeed. I'm loving every second I spend with this band and I have half of them named with a killer background.

      I'll develop about each of them as I finish the models.

      Thanks Steve

      Delete
  2. Hi!

    Cant wait to see how you get on. The Sensei are a really interesting concept and when combined with the Illuminati, theres all kinds of opportunity for gang based violence and intriguing!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't agree more than I do. The Illuminati are already on the to do list but I had to start with the sensei band. They'll be the centerpiece of my Rogue trader setting.

      Thanks a lot.

      Delete
  3. Very nice article indeed! This should be part of a template for all of us when blogging about RT projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from such a talented blogger as yourself, it is a vey nice compliment Paul. LIke I said above, I'll try to develop every member of the band. The members have to be characterful but the bond between them is also very intersting, I'll work on making that explicit.

      Thanks a lot.

      Delete
  4. Great Article. I'd love to see how they get on on the battlefield. You can just imagine the little, tight knit warband wading cinematically through hordes of baddies! Something a bit 2000ad about that kind of story as well. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, If I make it to the oldhammer day, they're definitely making the trip with me ! Otherwise I plan on making them join the local Inquisimunda campaign at the local hobby shop if I manage.

      2000AD you say? huuum , if you've looked at what I'm reading right now on the right side of the blogpage, you already know this may have influenced me in some ways. ;)

      Thanks Colin.

      Delete
    2. You've made up my mind. When I'm up in Edinburgh at the end of the month I'm going to squeeze in a game with a Sensei warband. I might pitch them against something really hard and dangerous, Traitor marines and cultists?

      Delete
    3. The whole world is after them basically so anything mean will do. PIcs awaited !

      Delete
  5. Nice post, I have just got my paints back after a few months hiatus, I have thay Sensei miniatures so he is going to get a lick of paint, thanks for the inspiration :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jason, nice to see you back ! You're the boss of rogue trader adventurers so any of them coming from you will be most welcomed !
      The spacepunk will be in the sensei band and I always have yours in mind when I see her.

      (and if you still have some spares/doubles, you know I'm your man ;) !)

      Delete
  6. You are right, not too many Sensei warbands exist in the hobbyverse. I will have to live my Sensei warband dream vicariously through you for now. They are definitely one of the coolest warbands possible - but perhaps not the coolest...well just you wait until you see what I have lined up for tomorrow. ;)

    We have to get back to those Venators soon also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huuuum a competition of "who's got the coolest" with you might be a tough fight, I will eventually win with the number...well maybe...or not.

      I have to say the venator itch is waiting for a good scratch, I'm even more motivated for it now I'll have some sensei to hunt !

      Thanks Seán

      Delete
    2. Nothing like a tough fight to push you to the limit! ;)

      Our biggest fight is with our own big imaginations and the small amount of time we have to realise these projects.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes ! Couldn't agree more, we're cursed with too much creativity I guess... B-)

      Delete
  7. I've loved the Sensei concept for years & it's great to see you giving it the attention it deserves. The background works, the model selection so far is good...looking forward to seeing the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're always such a man of taste! I hope I won't disapoint you then ;)

      Delete
  8. This was a great read- much appreciated. Somehow, I never made the connection between the Sensei/Starchild stuff in the old Rogue Trader manual and the miniature you have here. I am sure I have seen it described as "Sensei" somewhere before, but it never clicked. I love the idea that he can "reclaim" possessed members of the opponent's army- that is truly great stuff for gaming there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the confusion exists since the picture I put next to the model comes from the "Illuminati" section of "the slaves to darkness". As I wrote, the very concpet of the Illuminati was not clear betwen the 2 realm of chaos tomes. I don't remember myslef where I saw him labelled as a Sensei (can't remember what's on the tab...).
      Anyway, I think the model serves the purpose and since I've always considered him as a sensei, a sensei he will be.
      For me the sensei is very close to the Paladin class of RPG's, it's why the model seems to fit I believe.

      Thanks a lot

      Delete
  9. Very cool, but also very dangerous, Mr. ALMan! Please take heed and tread softly and carefully. There is a reason why the Sensei and the Starchild stuff is not in the public eye/blogosphere/minds and tables of retro-gamers everywhere...Beware, beware is all I can say...Why don't you just forget all about this nonsense and just put a nice Vanilla Space Marine force together? Or how about something tame and acceptable like Orks? You have been warned. Please take this advice from one who would miss your blog and internet presence...Oh-oh I must sign-off, there is a red dot on my forehead...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn Illuminati ! (or is it GW executives?)

      Delete
  10. Excellent work Assless! Once I've finished converting a few more Space Lizards, a Sensei warband may well be the next thing I'm going to have to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very good plan I believe ! Let's show the world the imperium once had a very nice history and very charcacterful background.
      I'm really happy to see how well people receive this little project of mine. !

      Thanks a lot

      Delete
  11. Great post Asslessman! This will be exiting! /Hans

    ReplyDelete

  12. An interesting project.

    The Sensei background slways seemed a little "tacked on" and more than a little dodgy to me.

    Can you change my mind Asslessman? I hope so :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can understand the feeling. Well I believe the concept was never fully complete so there are amny ways to explore. i'll try to take one I find interesting enough and with fongers crossed ot may interest some other people !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like the folk who have been working on some of the other less fleshed-out areas of the games backgrounds - like Fimir and Slann and to a lesser extent Adeptus Mechanicus - you may find that having such a limited amount of "official" (even if subsequently retconned out of existence) Sensei info is liberating. You have plenty of room to make it your own.

      As long as is isnt too "Highway to Heaven" Im on board ;)



      Delete
    2. I totaly agree with th efact there'e plenty of space to interpret here and it's what I like in Rogue trader. HIghway to heaven was not the intended path so I guess it's all for the better !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...